Pages


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ballerina Chic?


When I was five years old my mom put me in ballet. She took lessons when she was younger and she thought it would be fun for me. But I am pretty sure it was mostly because little girls look soo adorable in the little pink tutus and slippers. I've seen pictures and I did look pretty damn cute in that tutu. How do you not look cute in ballet clothes? I am absolutely certain that even at five years old I knew that I was doing the ballet for the clothes. Well my ballet days are long since behind me because I have two left feet. I quit ballet after less than a year and had a breif flirtation with hip hop before stopping dance all together. And I am definitely not going back to hip hop for the clothes. I still have a thing for the whole ballerina look. It's such a simply beautiful and elegant look. And these days it seems as though many people feel the same way.Although, ballet flats have always been a classic shoe, a wardrobe staple. I live in flats. Movies like the Black Swan and collections by designers like Marc Jacobs are really making the ballerina look more popular. I watched half of the Black Swan and I couldn't finish it. The crazy was starting to ruin the beautiful clothes for me and I could not handle it. The costumes in the Black Swan were by designer Rodarte.

I like the white swan look because when I think of ballerina's I think of that kind of angelic look. However, I also like the black swan look because it's a mix of the innocence and sweetness that I associate with ballerinas, and a dark, sensual edginess. The ballet look is not just popping up in the movies, it is showing up on the runway as well. One of my all time favorite fashion designers, Marc Jacobs, did a collection (Spring 2010) that looked like ballerinas and show-girls after hours. Naturally, because of my obsession with 
ballerina outfits, this was one of my favorite collections.

While there have been some styles and trends that make me throw up in my mouth this is one that I enjoy and it is one that I don't think I'll get sick of anytime soon. Ballet inspired styles are so feminine and pretty and I do not regret my few unfortunate dance experiences because at five years old my fixation with ballerina costumes began.

No comments:

Post a Comment