Pages


Sunday, February 13, 2011

How to dress like a Canadian..Whatever that means.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I am about to say, however, as a sidenote, I just realized that I have been studying french for nine years and I know little more than "bonjour" and "j'adore  vos chaussures". What can you do? I mean, I have been studying french since the fourth grade and I still don't know how to use my "le conditionell".  I went to france in the spring and it was amazing. A lot of cute french boys who really know how to dress. They could teach canadian boys a thing or two. I am a proud canadian girl, born and raised on the west coast. British Columbia is a great place to grow up, a great place to have fun, surrounded by both mountains and the pacific ocean. It is a great place to find some excellent designers, both established and up and coming. I love where I live and I love being canadian but there are times when I ask myself, what is canadian style anyway? How would one define canadian style? By touques and moccasins? Yeah, that doesn't cut it. At the 2010 Olympics I remember checking everyone out to see if there was a pattern, any distinct canadian style, or any style that foreign people at least thought was canadian. I got nothing. Unless one would consider clothing plastered with Quatchi and Mika, characters that look a lot more like asian anime characters than anything else , to be canadian style. I have yet to have found a real answer to my questions, but my theory is that it's because Canada is such a mix of different cultures. Canada has a little bit of everything so I guess canadian style can't really be defined because it's a melting pot of so many other countries. Which is great, just a little confusing.
 But to make it clearer to myself I decided to do my research and check out some cool canadian designers, both under and on the radar. There are definitely many more, these are a few, although I'm working on it. It's my kind of homework.
                                                               Dace Moore

Dace Moore is so awesome! She is one of my absolute favorites. Sometimes I see a questionable garment that I want to like (but can't) because it's by a designer that I love (ie. Chanel icecube flap bag. It's made out of resin and it costs a couple grand. Paris Hilton wore it. I don't understand) but with Dace that never happens because it's just so easy to love everything she designs. Her clothes are so gorgeous and with a lot of attention to fit and detail. Did I mention how much I love her clothes? A lot. The clothes are pretty relaxed and chill, and canadians are supposed to be relaxed and chill ( I can't say that I am). Above are a few looks from her Spring 2011 collection.


(I'm sorry. I love Chanel but this, personally, I'm not fond of.)

                                                    C'est Joli- Alison Dawson
Alison Dawson, creater of jewellery line "C'est Joli", is from Vancouver. Her jewellery is completely unique, for example, her Loop Metallic Necklace is a slightly tangled, beautiful mess of cream coloured cords with tiny little golden beads.



Loop Metallic Necklace (love. I love "messy" jewellery like this)
This is the Scribble necklace in black (also comes in cream). It looks exactly like a scribble. 
This would definitely get some looks on the street but it's interesting and it's a great statement piece. I keep picturing it with a white or grey t-shirt dress. Something simple so that this crazy piece can take centre stage. Love it.
This is the Corrugate Necklace in navy. It's pretty.

This is the Colour Block necklace. It's so exotic for summer.

Her jewellery is gorgeous and it's special. It's whimsical and eclectic art. Alison Dawson's jewellery is inspiring and so is her drive. C'est Joli had only existed for three months when she lined up at Henri Bendel at 5:30 in the morning for the spring 2010 open see ( designers show their stuff to potential buyers). Only four hours in a buyer offered her a trunk show. Now, in Toronto, she is busy making her sweet, eccentric jewellery.The pieces above are from her Spring 2011 collection.

Dsquared21
Dsquared2 is a fashion label by Dean and Dan Caten, identical twin brothers from Toronto, Ontario. Before launching their own label they worked for Versace and later on for Diesel who funded them and helped them start their own line. Their designs are always punchy, sexy and full of energy. Above are a few looks from their Spring 2011 collection.


There are a lot of Canadian designers and I am going to do my best to find as many as I can so that I can have even more to write and obsess about.

No comments:

Post a Comment