Pages


Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blast from the past..The seventies are apparently back

While I was nursing myself back to health yesterday with lemon tea and The Godfather one and two, I recieved my Elle magazine from my monthly subscription. That was a sunny spot in my delusional haze of advil and gangster movies. Anyway, apparently 70's inspired fashion is all over the place, not just according to Elle, but according to designers like Marc Jacobs and Rodarte. Marc Jacobs (one of my favorites) Spring 2011 collection was sexy and very reminiscent of clothing from the "groovy" and promiscuous 70's. The clothes were damn gorgeous and if the 70's are coming back then I am glad they are coming back in this way.  As I was leafing through the different designer's collections I started to make peace with this trend. Although, I hope to god the hairstyles won't come back because I will never, never buy into the whole feathered hair thing. Even though Farrah Fawcett still looked gorgeous with it (she was beautiful period).
As conflicted as I felt yesterday about this trend ( I was quite medicated, that could have been the reason for my confusion) I am pretty excited about it now. I have always felt like I had a classic style and my style is pretty modern. However,  fashion is supposed to be fun and exciting and although I used to look at the seventies as being way to eccentric for me (hello, bellbottoms? No.) that is the fun of it! I am ready to switch things up. I don't think I am the only one who feels that current times are a little boring. Everything is just so easy, so easy that it is boring. Everything is easy and technology makes everything inpersonal. I text people more than I talk to them and it makes me wish that we all would go back to sending eachother handwritten notes and letters. It's so personal and romantic. Except, I would get over that really quickly, so nevermind. Sometimes, I don't feel like people are going to look back to the 2000's and 2010's in a few decades and be particularly inspired. What is really new fashion wise? Styles come in and out and in again but in slightly different ways. I guess that's what's great about fashion. So bring the seventies on. I'm ready for the one piece pantsuits, peasant tops, and disco, art deco clothing. I won't do bell bottoms or floods though, you can't make me.



Mischa Barton wearing a 70's inspired, embroidered peasant top, before she started dressing like she's on acid. I used to love this girl's style.


A few looks from Rodarte Spring 2011

Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2011 collection by Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment