Pages


Saturday, February 19, 2011

High Maintenance on a Plane: Trying to look like you haven't been compressed into your airplane chair

I have the travel bug bad. In fact, if I could I would be in a different country every week, nonstop. I used to be a bit of a homebody but then I went to Portugal when I was fifteen and ever since then, travel has become a bit of an obsession. I went to France last spring. I went to Paris, Normandy, the Loire Valley and a few other places. I was there for ten days and it was a jam-packed ten days. It was a school trip and we went everywhere. We all formed bonds with people who we never would have met or talked to at home. Travel changes people. Everytime I go somewhere I come back a little bit different. It's almost going to be a year since I went to France. I cannot believe it. One place I have always wanted to go is Ireland. I am half irish and it'd be nice to see Ireland. Also, I am not going to lie, the movie "P.S, I Love You" has a little bit to do with it; irish accents are all kinds of sexy. The top five places I want to go are Ireland, Italy, Greece, Tahiti and Switzerland. Travel is great. The only little issue with travel is the goddamn plane. I like airplanes and I don't. I like take off; it gives me a little rush. Still, I hate that I am essentially in a flying metal tube. And I hate sleeping in a plane. The airconditioning on my already freezing toes, the dry air on my contact lenses, the uncomfortably long trips. It can also be difficult to keep oneself from looking like they crawled through hell by the end of the flight. As I write this I can already hear some of my friends and my mother saying " Who cares what you look like, you are on a plane, thousands of feet in the air", but you know what? I care. My blog is about fashion. It's not fun to spend the first day of your trip looking and feeling like shit, with crazy hair and crack addict smeared make-up. We all know how it goes. Being confined in a not so comfortable chair next to a stranger who is quite often, hogging the elbow room and passing gas. This is after you have been lugging your overstuffed suitcases around and frisked by security. I want to go on the record and say that just because I have a nail file does not mean that I intend to stab my neighbor on the plane. No matter how loud they snore.  It can also be a little bit difficult to fix these problems because of safety regulations that prohibit taking liquids like moisturizer,concealer or contact solution. I once saw a woman have to toss out a little bottle of Chanel perfume due to regulations. If that was me there would be a small problem. I'd probably find some way to sneak it in my bra. I felt bad for her, I wanted to be like buddy, if she was planning on bombing the plane why the hell would she use Chanel? I mean you'd think there would be a less expensive way of doing that. Still I understand the concept, it's just a drag. It's a good idea to not bring any liquids, especially expensive liquids in your purse or carry on. It's just not worth it.
When I am going on a trip and the flight is long, I like to wear my lululemon pants because jeans chafe when I am sitting for a long time and this makes it difficult for me to sleep. Its good to wear a nice but comfortable top, not a schlumpy comfortable top. I always bring sunglasses to cover my eyes if I have dark circles and to protect my eyes because the sun is always too damn bright after a long, pretty much sleepless flight. I always get cold feet, so on my next trip ( the family and I are planning on going to Hawaii) I plan on bringing some slippers. In one's purse it is good to carry a really small, travel sized bottle of moisturizer, a small brush, mints and some lip balm because air plane air is really dry. It's not like anyone really needs to full on apply make-up on the plane. Just a little moisturizer so you don't look like death. Drink a bottle of water, not excessively because this will make you have to pee a lot and that creates awkward airplane bathroom moments. It's important to sleep on the plane. However, I don't know about anyone else but this just does not work for me. I just can't do it. I am going to try when I go to Hawaii. I also need to get some cute glasses because it really is hard to sleep with contact lenses in. I have a fear that they are going to roll to the back of my eyes while I am sleeping. My game plan is to wear my yoga pants, a cute top and a fitted jacket ( I really want a leather jacket but I have been told I am not bad ass enough to pull them off) and I will wear glasses with very little eye makeup to prevent smudging when I (try to) sleep. 
Kate Moss is so awesome, I just love her and I love her style. She looks completely elegant in a gorgeous white coat with sunglasses ( what did I tell you) and her hair in a simple updo.

Cameron Diaz's jet-setting gear is chic and comfortable. Her ballet flats are sweet and practical( although my feet would get cold)  and her layers and grey and black scarf  are stylish and so cozy. Her hair is down and relaxed. She looks effortless but still well put together. I like this look period. Cameron Diaz's casual outfit is my favorite jet-setting look.

This is Eva Longoria at Heathrow and while she looks amazing it really is not a practical airport outfit. She is wearing a Stella McCartney jumpsuit, Christian Louboutin platforms and a magneta Hermes croc bag. Aside from the fact that I DESPISE reptile anything, which, believe me, I will be getting into. Real reptile skin clothing repulses me because it is cruel and inhumane how the reptiles are killed and I think it is wrong to kill an animal solely for it's skin. Even if it's fake it just looks tacky. I do not like it, however I digress. it is ridiculous to wear platforms on an airplane. She does not look effortless or relaxed. She looks like she really wants to be seen, which she obviously does, but the problem is she looks like it. The only thing I approve of are the sunglasses which will cover up her airplane fatigued eyes. She looks gorgeous, but this look is not for the airport.
Eva Longoria is such a gorgeous woman. And she has got serious style. I love how she has kept her outfit chic and minimalistic. A gorgeous coat like Eva's is great because it covers up the outfit underneath that will no doubt become wrinkly after being compressed in a chair like a sardine. Her boots are stylish  and so is her bag. And her sunglasses. Do you notice a pattern? 
This is Cheryl Cole at Heathrow looking beautiful. I really like her outfit it's very sharp and well put together. I still don't understand why anyone would choose to wear heels on an airplane.

Travel is great and with a little extra effort and some strategic outfit planning one can manage to get through an entire flight looking like a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment