Pages


Monday, February 7, 2011

Gemma Redux and Pamela Love

Jewellery is a little bit of an addiction for me. I am the girl with two jellewery boxes stuffed and I can't resist buying more. However, there are far worse addictions to have and Marilyn Monroe said it best. Diamonds ARE a girls best friend. And opals,pearls,lapis,topaz.. You get the picture?  There are a lot of different unique and talented jewellery designers. Two of my favorites are Gemma Redux by Rachel Dooley and Pamela Love.
Here are a few pieces by Gemma Redux. I love how drippy and artsy Rachel Dooley's jewellery is. I also think it's amazing how she will take something dull such as plain grey quartz or onyx and she will turn it into something stunning.There is something beautiful about the drippy, slightly tangled chains and the uncut semi-precious stones. I  love how the stones are raw and they are not in any particular cut.They are beautiful messes. Her jewellery appears to be natural and relaxed but it is still luxurious. Her success with jewellery and in fashion is mind blowing, especially considering a few years ago she was a full time lawyer. Her designs were featured on Gossip Girl, worn most often by Blake Lively's character, Serena Van der Woodsen. I always did prefer Serena's style to Blair (the headband and bow really do not do it for me). Here's a Rachel Dooley interview by Elle Magazine.


Pamela Love rocks my socks. What else can I say? There is no one else who does what she does, I know my jewellery and there isn't anything quite like her jewellery. What I love about her is the way she doesn't just push the envelope she says screw the envelope, and it's great! Her jewellery is edgy and a little over the top. Her jewellery is made from precious metals and precious and semi-precious stone which keeps it looking luxurious and glamorous and not at all cheap or tacky. Like Rachel Dooley, Pamela Love began jewellery making as a hobby and it has escalated into a business. Her success has sky rocketed and her designs are sought after by many, including Steven Tyler. She has collaborated with the likes of Zac Posen. I love the rock and roll edge of her designs and I love how animals and nature are incorporated into her jewellery as well. I really love the little bear ring ( bottom) and her eagle claw pendants (second from the top). I am a jewellery girl, constantly on the hunt for new stuff.



Thrift stores are also a great place to search for one of a kind, truly special ( and sometimes vintage)  jewellery.





No comments:

Post a Comment